Accounting Specialist ( starting at $53,000/annually/Full time, non-exempt with full benefits)
Title: Accounting Specialist
FLSA Status: non-exempt
Employment Status: Full Time
Reports To: CFO
Location: Main office (1008 Bullard Court, Raleigh, NC 27615)
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Computes, classifies records and verifies numerical data for use in maintaining accounting records. Applies principles of accounting to analyze financial operations, and estimates revenues and expenditures to assist in preparation of budgets and grant reports. Provides administrative support to the Director of Accounting.
Specific position duties and responsibilities:
Budgeting and reporting
- Prepares/understands balance sheets, profit and loss statements and other financial reports as required.
- Analyzes trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations incurred to predict future revenues and expenses.
- Assists in preparation of agency/program budgets. Assists in budget and funding application preparations including grant reporting as assigned.
- Knowledgeable of specific funding source requirements and assists in required periodic reporting.
- Reconciles report discrepancies and problems; assists in report preparation.
General Accounting :
- • Creates general journal entries as directed.
- • Processes monthly Federal and HUD funding draw downs.
- • Reviews invoices, bills and requisitions for proper coding.
- • Assists in monitoring/approving agency expenditures.
- • Creates ad hoc reports from accounting software and payroll system.
- • Compliance: Works with financial auditors and program monitors; Meets federal, state, and local financial standards
- • Files vouchers, invoices, checks, account statements, reports, and other records; pulls invoices as requested.
- Reconciles all bank accounts and interfaces with banking institutions.
- Assists in monitoring revenue and oversees accounts receivable activities to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
- Approves checks after comparing against approved invoices and requisitions; verifies chart of accounts and allocations.
- Initiates EFT or ACH transactions with approval from Director of Accounting.
- Create invoices and submits to funding sources and other(s) as assigned.
- Approves deposits prior to submission to Chief Executive Officer for approval.
- Works with the Director of HR to review necessary dates and allocations and submits any changes to payroll service.
- Verifies staff PTO assignments and balances and ensures appropriate use of PTO.
- Reviews payroll data prior to processing.
- Reviews Quarterly and Annual Payroll reports prepared by payroll service.
- Maintains vendor relationships and contracts.
- Provides administrative support to the Director of Accounting.
- Provides back up to the Receptionist as needed
General agency duties and responsibilities:
- Completes all required trainings
- Participates in agency outreach and fundraising events
- Demonstrates a willingness to assist in other agency programs as needed
- Acts as a custodian and demonstrates responsible and ethical use of agency property and facilities
- Displays sensitivity to the service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics
- Strives to embody the agency’s Code of Ethics while working towards the agency’s Mission
- Learns and demonstrates Agency-wide Competencies including the areas of consumer and community relationships, continuous individual and agency-wide improvement, vision and purpose, respect and teamwork and positive leadership
- Learns, develops, and models Positive Youth Development core competencies resulting in capacity to contribute to the mission of Haven House Services and be a resource to our youth and families, other partner organizations, and our community
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in business or accounting; and two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Proficient in QuickBooks and MS Office
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to make judgments, assume responsibility, and produce stellar work under the pressure of deadlines and timelines.
- A strong team player, who is also a self-starter with a desire to take on new challenges.
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record
- Proof of current/valid car insurance
- Acceptable background report
- Negative drug screen results