Overnight Awake Residential Counselor
Title: Overnight Awake Residential Counselor
Reports to: Director of Crisis and Homeless Services
Location: Morgan Street
Department: Crisis and Homeless Services
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Summary: Facilitates a safe and therapeutic residential environment for youth in crisis, working as a member of a team to oversee shelter operations and direct care services.
Specific Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Communicates to supervisor concerns including, but not limited to, paperwork, staff and training needs.
- Conduct initial screening, admission and discharge.
- Administer medication in accordance to agency policies.
- Respond to crisis calls.
- Supervise youth chores around facility.
- Maintain facility in an orderly, clean fashion and in a good state of repair.
- Prepare well balanced meals/snacks based on menu and/or supervise youth in preparing meals.
- Transport youth in agency or personal vehicles to school and appointments in the community.
- Develop and maintain an active and supportive relationship with youth and their families.
- Facilitate referrals prescribed by the treatment team to other agencies for youth in care and as a part of aftercare.
- Expend agency funds as directed by the Program Director and maintain all required documentation.
- Supervise youth and monitor activities in the shelter overnight and perform all direct care responsibilities as needed.
General Agency Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes all required trainings
- Participates in agency outreach and fundraising events
- Demonstrates a willingness to assist in other agency programs as needed
- Acts as a custodian and demonstrates responsible and ethical use of agency property and facilities
- Displays sensitivity to the service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics
- Strives to embody the agency’s Code of Ethics while working towards the agency’s Mission
- Learns and demonstrates Agency-wide Competencies including the areas of consumer and community relationships, continuous individual and agency-wide improvement, vision and purpose, respect and teamwork and positive leadership
- Learns, develops, and models Positive Youth Development core competencies resulting in capacity to contribute to the mission of Haven House Services and be a resource to our youth and families, other partner organizations, and our community
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a human service field from an accredited institution
- Preferred two years of related experience and/or training with target population
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the NC Juvenile Court System and local community resources
- Experience with client documentation and file management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record
- Personal vehicle for use in conducting home visits and/or transporting clients in the event agency vehicles aren’t available
- Proof of current/valid car insurance
- Acceptable background report
- Negative drug screen results
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required
- Culture of care and wellness in the office
- Occasional exposure to outside weather conditions
- Potential exposure to bloodborne and/or airborne pathogens